I guess I
built you up in my head more than I intended – built you a castle to live in.
My heart fell, and I fell, and by the time you had spent the night with me in
my room and said that you did not want anything more than something casual – I had
fallen so far, I did not care what you wanted from me. I wanted you, for as
long as I could have you. I wanted you and the eyes that were so green, it was
like spring ad some early and all the hurt and pain would melt away. But I did
not know how the dark corners of your soul were – I did not see how far I had
fallen – I did not understand that I was nothing to you, nothing but some
stupid girl to use as a gentle reprieve from whatever you were running from. I fell
and I fell, and I could not hide it from you – I begged you to be with me. I felt
messed up and washed up and so incredibly vulnerable for you, I wondered if you
could see the cracks where I might break. But you turned me away. I walked the
streets, trying to outpace my thoughts, outpace the nervous despair that I wore
like a second skin. You could not let me in, you said. You had not meant to
lead me on, you said. But the fault was mine. From that first night, I knew
that I was going to fall for you. I knew you were not going to want more. I should
have stopped then. What if I had never shown up at your door so long ago? Sometimes
I think it would have been better to never loved at all.
No comments:
Post a Comment